In 2020, attorney Robert Sewell began an entirely new genre of podcasts – helping listeners understand the impacts of law on their daily lives…and answering the question we all often ask: Is That Even Legal? In February 2020, with a global pandemic just starting, Bob, with talented guests from all areas of law, helped listeners sort through a myriad of issues…and have some fun along the way. You responded! The podcast has been listened to in 35 countries and 829 cities across the globe! visit www.evenlegal.com or on itunes or your favorite podcast provider to listen.
As Is That Even Legal embarks on its new season, to begin in February, Bob is proud to announce a scholarship program aimed at law schools across the U.S. Entry is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., who are age 18 or older as of date of entry, and who are enrolled students, administrative staff, or faculty at any ABA accredited law school in the United States. The winner will receive a $1,500 scholarship. The contest? The best suggestion for a great episode of Is That Even Legal. Rules and entrance instructions can be found below. Please share with a law school student, professor or administrator you know! Questions? email: email@example.com
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
Win a $1,500 Scholarship from the Is That Even Legal Podcast
- No purchase or entry fee is necessary to enter or win.
- Entry is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., who are age 18 or older as of date of entry, and who are enrolled students, administrative staff, or faculty at any ABA accredited law school in the United States. Employees of the Is That Even Legal Podcast (“Sponsor”) and its affiliated companies and agencies, along with the members of the immediate families or households, whether or not related, of any of the above, regardless of where they reside, are not eligible to enter or win.
- Contest begins at 7:00 a.m. Mountain Time (MT) on January 15, 2021 and ends at 11:59 p.m. MT on February 28, 2021 (the “Contest Period”). Please allow for the time difference, if any, from your local time zone. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void wherever prohibited or restricted by law.
- To enter, submit an interesting and timely legal question – together with the name and current contact information for a suggested guest to appear on the Is That Even Legal Podcast to discuss your legal question or topic. You must email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your legal question and suggested guest information during the Contest Period. You must include your full name, law school affiliation, mailing address, phone number and email address (together, an “Entry”). Your Entry legal question must consist of no more than 200 words, and be in the English language. The suggested guest contact information must be accurate and current, and the suggested guest must be a living person with recognized expertise in the field or topic related to your legal question, whether by training, experience, publication, or the like. Your Entry must not include trademarks, logos, or copyrighted material not owned by Entrant, or material that is used without permission (including but not limited to company names or images published on any media) or that otherwise infringes or violates the rights of any third party such as copyrights, trademarks, logos, or any other intellectual property rights; must not contain any defamatory material; and must not depict or contain any element which is or may be considered abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, religiously, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable as solely determined by Sponsor.
- All Entries must be sent and received by the end of the Contest Period to be eligible. You acknowledge and understand that your Entry will be judged by the panel of judges, and must conform to the submission requirements outlined in these Official Rules, or it may be disqualified and not considered for the Contest. The individual who submitted the Entry shall be designated as the official Entrant competing in the Contest. Limit of one (1) Entry allowed per person. No mechanically produced or automated emails or Entries permitted. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification and all such Entries will be deemed void.
- Sponsor and its related parties are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, illegible, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, or damaged Entries, or for Entries submitted in a manner that is not expressly allowed under these Official Rules, or for any entry not submitted or not received due to any technical error or failure, human error, unauthorized intervention, inaccurate capture or mis-entry of any required information, failures, omissions, interruptions, deletions, or defects of any phone or cellular phone provider, network computer online systems, computer equipment, servers, or software, including any injury or damage to Entrant’s or any other person’s computer or phone device relating to or resulting from participation in this Contest; or the failure to capture any such information or effects of hackers or failure of any electronic equipment, computer, phone line or cellular transmissions and/or network connections; all of which will be disqualified. Any Entry that is not properly submitted for any reason, including any technical difficulties, upload failures; efforts of hackers; or any lost or disconnected internet connections, will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to any Entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used and associated with the Entry will be deemed to be the registrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Proof of being the authorized account holder may be required.
- By participating in this Contest, you affirm that you have read and accepted these Official Rules. The laws of the United States and each of the individual states may apply to and govern this Contest. Submission of an Entry constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its designees to use the Entry content for purposes of conducting the Podcast and related advertising and promotion in any and all media now or hereafter known worldwide in perpetuity without limitation or further compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. Entries will not be returned or deleted by Sponsor. Any information collected by registering and entering the Contest shall be used only in a manner consistent with these Official Rules.
- All Entries correctly submitted will be reviewed by a panel of judges from the Podcast’s host and production staff. A decision will be made on or about March 15, 2021. The Grand Prize Winner will be selected based on the following judgment criteria:
- Entry describes a legal question of current general interest (20%);
- Clarity and composition of the Entry legal question (20%);
- Use of creative and original elements in the creation of the legal question (20%);
- Entry contains current and accurate contact information for a suggested guest (20%); and
- Suggested guest has recognized expertise is the legal question or topic raised in the legal question, and is suitable and available for appearing on the Podcast (20%).
In case of a tie in the determination of the winner, the Entry receiving the higher score in the “recognized expertise” category will be deemed the winner of such tie.
- Potential prize winner will be contacted following selection of their Entry by phone and/or email. If Sponsor is unsuccessful in its attempts to contact potential prize winner/Entrant within three (3) the days of first notification attempt, then that Entry may be disqualified and an alternate may be selected and notified as per the procedures outlined above. Grand Prize Winner will be required to complete and return, within five (5) days of date of receipt, a prize acceptance form, an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release (where permitted), and a W-9 form. Prize Winner will be responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including, but not limited to all local, state and federal taxes) on all prizes awarded, and will receive a 1099 tax form. If selected prize winner does not meet the eligibility requirements, is unable or unwilling to accept the prize, or elects to decline the prize, then he or she will be disqualified, and at Sponsor’s sole discretion, an alternate potential prize winner may be selected and notified as per the procedures outlined above. Any disqualified Entrant will not receive any alternate prize substitution or compensation. Decisions of Sponsor in selection and determination of the winner and all matters relating to this Contest are final and binding.
- One Grand Prize will be awarded. Grand Prize Winner will receive a $1,500.00 Scholarship. Prize will be delivered by way of a check payable to the Winner or to Winner’s designee, at Winner’s election. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and any associated Entry) who tampers or attempts to tamper with or abuse the entry process in any way or who is otherwise in violation of these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor or the Contest judges appointed by Sponsor in their sole discretion. Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage any website/platform or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, sponsor reserves the right to disqualify and seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to hold Sponsor, its employees, agents, contractors and representatives (the “Released Parties”) harmless from any claims, losses, actions, or damages of any kind, whether actual, incidental or consequential, for injury (including but not limited to death), damages, losses or expenses arising out of or relating to an Entry or to participation in this Contest, or the acceptance, possession or use/misuse of any prize, or participation in any Entry or prize-related activities (including but not limited to travel or activity related thereto), and agree to assume all liability therefor. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, modify or terminate the Contest if fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy or threaten the integrity of the Contest, in the opinion of the Sponsor, or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Contest as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. In the event of early termination of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to select prize winner from among all eligible, non-suspect Entries received as of the time/date of such termination.
- By entering this Contest, each Entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court within the State of Arizona serving the County of Maricopa; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, and in no event will Entrant be entitled to received attorneys’ fees or other legal costs; and (3) under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of parties in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Arizona, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions.
© 2020 by the Is That Even Legal Podcast and Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, PLLC.