After the Summons and Petition are served on the Respondent, a written statement (called an “Affidavit of Service” or a “Proof of Service”) must be filed with the Clerk of Superior Court. A Sheriff or process server usually files the written statement on behalf of the Petitioner when service is made in the state. If service by publication is used, a written statement sworn under oath ( an “affidavit”) must be filed with the court along with a copy of the notice published in the newspaper.