Choose the Right Lawyer
Ask the right questions.
You already know that not all lawyers have the same experience and perspective, and not all legal teams are able to deliver results needed in a time like this. Any lawyer you are considering to represent you should be eager to answer the following questions.
Though some will try to convince you that filing an Arizona bankruptcy is simple and requires the filing of only a few forms, doing it well requires considerably more thought and effort. Unfortunately, an inexperienced attorney may do their clients more harm than good due to the complexities of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
1. How long have you been practicing bankruptcy law?
Pernell McGuire, a managing partner at Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, PLLC is the head of the firms’ bankruptcy practice. He has represented thousands of clients in bankruptcy during the past 17 years. He started his career with the law firm of Weil, Gotshal & Manges, LLP an international firm with one of the largest bankruptcy practices in the United States. For the past 14 years he devoted his practice to helping Arizona bankruptcy clients file Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
2. Are you a certified bankruptcy specialist?
Yes. Pernell McGuire is a certified specialist in bankruptcy law. The State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization currently certifies fewer than 30 bankruptcy specialists in Arizona. Of those, only a handful represent debtors, (as opposed to creditors) in bankruptcy proceedings. The requirements for bankruptcy specialization are rigorous. To see what the State Bar of Arizona requires before certifying a specialist, click here.
3. What type of bankruptcy cases does the firm handle?
Some lawyers file only Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 cases, but knowing which is more appropriate in your circumstance is critical. Consumers considering bankruptcy should make sure the firm handles both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases, and not just a few of each. In our experience the best lawyers have handled a large number of both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases. At Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, we handle not just Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases, but Chapter 11 cases as well.
4. Are you a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys?
The NACBA is the one national association for bankruptcy attorneys. Membership in the NACBA is further indication of a bankruptcy attorneys’ commitment to helping consumer debtors in bankruptcy. Pernell McGuire has been a member of the NACBA since 2006.
5. Who will I meet with during my initial consultation?
At Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, you will meet with a bankruptcy attorney, not a staff member during your initial consultation. Mr. McGuire strives to meet with every new client personally, but when he is unable to do so, you can be sure that you will meet with another qualified attorney.
6. Why should I hire Davis Miles McGuire Gardner to represent me?
- At Davis Miles McGuire Gardner, you have the knowledge and experience of a certified bankruptcy specialist working for you.
- Our top priority is helping you successfully navigate your bankruptcy claim. Using our expertise to teach, guide and set your mind at ease is how we approach your legal needs.
- We use technology to make the bankruptcy process as efficient as possible for you.
- We provide specific direction about how to obtain your tax returns and other documents necessary for filing.
- We have represented thousands of clients in all types of Arizona bankruptcy cases, including Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11.
Call [phone_from_location] to set up a free consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney about your Arizona bankruptcy.